New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Topic  

nicky
Commander

United Kingdom
551 Posts

Posted - 21 October 2019 :  10:16:52  Show Profile
As both Flying Fish and Firefly were in bits, clearly needed work and were cheap I didnt have a survey, and was very lucky. Firefly had surveys recently when part complete and complete, for insurance, and my heart was in my mouth.
Whilst there was nothing serious, the expert eye picked up many things for safety and practical usage.
Having great knowledge of these boats he also commented on some in the past which appeared good, but had hidden faults, some serious.
These were boats I thought looked so GOOD that they did not need a survey.
So my view now is, have a survey, when you buy it, insure it, and perhaps at anytime you own it.I thought I was clever enough not to need one. I was not.
Perhaps before boats are put on the market the owner should obtain an independant survey from an expert on the type.
David.

Ben
Administrator

1269 Posts

Posted - 21 October 2019 :  13:14:58  Show Profile
I reckon it very much depends on the surveyor.

In 2001 I went to look at a Huntress, the yard office handed me a few sheets of paper that were the survey and sent me along the yard to see it, the survey said it had two Volvo Penta diesels.

Imagine my surpise to lift the engine hatch and see distributors, HT leads, spark plugs and carburettors....

But yes, a second pair of eyes on your boat is a good thing, we're lucky to have someone in the club who owns a 28 and is a surveyor.
Go to Top of Page
  Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Fairey Owners Club Forums © Fairey Owners Club Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000