New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Topic  

martinh
Captain

United Kingdom
273 Posts

Posted - 10 January 2019 :  17:49:43  Show Profile
Further to my write-up in the recent Journal.

Sad to report that one of the shipwrights involved has fallen off a boat (not mine) and busted his shoulder slowing progress.

Earlier this week I was making some templates for the new deck and cutting marine ply for same. Aficionados for these boats already know that sometimes the decks are not quite as symmetrical as one might presume - keeps people on their toes.

Today I was studying and measuring the internals of my 'interim' engine; A 7.4 litre marine Chevrolet V8 'big block' petrol engine that came with water-cooled exhausts. I discovered it's a high performance version with gear-driven cam and other goodies. It came out of a ski-boat and was an unknown quantity on purchase but only requires: honing the cylinders; new rings; bearings; gaskets; a couple of heli-coils and a new sump.

So far, so good but I have a lot to learn about the Holley 4 barrel carb and transistorized ignition. Convenient I fly to the States next week.

martinh
Captain

United Kingdom
273 Posts

Posted - 15 January 2019 :  11:37:38  Show Profile
So it was a case of: on Thursday do the measuring; on Friday order bearings, gaskets, plugs for oil and water and also new head-bolts - and they all arrived on Monday. Onward!
Go to Top of Page

Ben
Administrator

1269 Posts

Posted - 16 January 2019 :  15:19:29  Show Profile
Would be worth talking to Hooperman, he fitted one of the aftermarket EFI kits that has ignition mapping too. Once running it went very well.
Go to Top of Page

martinh
Captain

United Kingdom
273 Posts

Posted - 01 March 2019 :  15:24:06  Show Profile
As in any project it's good to monitor progress as today I collected the 'short motor' to be put into the boat 'as is' with the heads and heavy water-cooled exhaust manifolds bolted on later.

That way the alignment should be much easier than would otherwise be the case as new engine mounts need to be fabricated.

Go to Top of Page

Ben
Administrator

1269 Posts

Posted - 04 March 2019 :  12:42:37  Show Profile
I think a Huntress or Christina with a single petrol V8 will make a fabulous Solent runabout and weekender.

Making the power at higher revs means less torque than a comparable diesel (since HP = torque * revs/5252)

The higher revs and lower torque means you can get away with a thinner shaft, which is less drag.

I note with very fast Fairies that they need more revs, I can see that easily being a very quick boat. Perfect for racing the Red Jet out of Cowes.
Go to Top of Page

CharlesL
Captain

United Kingdom
491 Posts

Posted - 05 March 2019 :  07:30:08  Show Profile  Visit CharlesL's Homepage
Indeed, Bruce Campbell produced some very elegant open runabout versions of the Christina, notably 'Commuta' with single shaft, and also the fleet for Billy Butlin's Adriatic venture, with the GRP hull and twin outdrives.

Charles
Go to Top of Page

martinh
Captain

United Kingdom
273 Posts

Posted - 14 June 2019 :  10:06:07  Show Profile
VERY pleased to state - as per the plan created in March - BB was moved on Monday into the workshop at Suffolk Yacht Harbour where skilled people are available so the pace of repair and restoration will now change up a gear.

Edited by - martinh on 14 June 2019 10:07:25
Go to Top of Page

Ben
Administrator

1269 Posts

Posted - 14 June 2019 :  20:19:15  Show Profile
Great news. Now crack on!

Go to Top of Page

martinh
Captain

United Kingdom
273 Posts

Posted - 01 October 2019 :  10:58:25  Show Profile
Busy writing some of the recent activities for an update in the next Fairey News but as an interim here is a picture of one 59 year old screw fastening from the underside in surprisingly good condition.

Two others are poor so will be drilled out and back-filled with epoxy with new screws either side of each to compensate.

Edited by - martinh on 02 October 2019 19:09:14
Go to Top of Page

mps
Powder Monkey

United Kingdom
43 Posts

Posted - 02 October 2019 :  09:43:06  Show Profile
Glad to hear that Martin,
The engine securing bolts on Hercules were not so pretty when I stripped her down...

https://www.dropbox.com/s/he20mvkp68xln0p/IMG_5068.jpg?dl=0

Looking forwards to seeing some pictures of Blue Blazes soon.....
Go to Top of Page

Scott Pett
Administrator

United Kingdom
725 Posts

Posted - 05 October 2019 :  07:47:05  Show Profile  Visit Scott Pett's Homepage
2 plus per screw. That seems about right :-)
Go to Top of Page
  Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Fairey Owners Club Forums © Fairey Owners Club Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000