New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Topic  

Edward Vallins
Powder Monkey

United Kingdom
23 Posts

Posted - 17 July 2019 :  12:29:46  Show Profile
Tolcraft Shark 22ft power boat for sale. Similar to Fairey Huntress.

Sadly, the time has come to put my beloved Tolcraft Shark power boat up for sale. As I have posted on here I am currently restoring an Omega 828 so my current boat must make way for the new arrival!

I’ve admired Fairey boats for years, although I must admit I was slightly nervous at the prospect of owning a wooden boat, having had extensive experience of owning and using/maintaining GRP boats. So when I spotted this Tolcraft for sale a few years ago I couldn’t believe it and snapped her up straight away – a similar style and vintage to a Fairey Huntress but of GRP construction!

I understand that only a handful of these boats were built in the early 70's by Tolcraft and that one of them competed in the 1970 Cowes-Torquay race, so it is a true classic and a real Fairey contemporary. People might tell me off for saying it is similar to a Huntress but everyone who compliments/comments on her either at the marina and out on the water mistakes her for a Fairey!

The GRP is very solid/heavily laid up – nothing like a modern boat. She is 22ft long and I would guess she weighs about 2000kg. She was fitted with a brand new 220hp Mercuiser 4.3 MPI (petrol, fuel injected) engine in 2008/2009 along with a brand new Alpha One Gen 2 stern-drive at the same time. This is the more expensive version of the Mercuiser engine with a closed water cooling system and a heat exchanger. It has been very well maintained, serviced regularly and has only recorded 198 hours from new. Top speed is approximately 35 knots. The boat benefits from “Bennett” Hydraulic trim tabs and “Hydrive” hydraulic steering.

She has one cabin, the sitting area has a dining table which also converts the sitting area into a large double bed (brand new fitted and scatter cushions in2018). There is a galley area with a cooker (2 rings & grill – gas detector fitted), sink (fed from water tank) and lots of storage for cutlery / crokery etc. A separate heads contains a Jabsco sea toilet. The cabin also has a CD/radio with aux input (i.e. for iPod) and lighting. For her size I think the space inside the cabin is remarkable. I am 5’10” and although there isn’t full standing headroom for me inside it’s not uncomfortable and I can almost fully stand up in the galley area. During the summer we spend one night a week on-board.

Two brand new batteries were fitted in May 2017. Over winter these are removed from the boat and kept on intelligent battery chargers. Also fitted to the boat is a “Sterling” inverter, battery charger and shore power hook-up.

There is an old Raymarine Plotter/GPS (which I was planning to replace). Compass and Raymarine VHF radio.

A new cockpit cover was fitted in 2016, the cockpit cushions/seats have been recently recovered. There is also an electric bilge pump on automatic float switch and manual bilge pump.

A twin-axle road legal SBS boat trailer included in sale. This had all the wheel bearings and brakes replaced in 2016 and hasn’t been in the water since (boat is lifted off and on trailer at the start and end of each season). The trailer also had 4 brand new tyres fitted in 2018. The boat tows very well on this trailer, we have probably towed her about 200 miles on this trailer. Delivery of the boat (and trailer) within the UK could be arranged.

A 5hp Tohatsu two-stroke long-shaft auxiliary engine is also included in the sale.

This is a classic motor boat in very good condition. It has been maintained to a high standard and is ready now to be used/enjoyed. She only spends 4 months a year in the water over the summer (currently afloat in Plymouth, Devon). The rest of the time she is stored on the trailer under cover.

I would love the boat to go to a classic boat enthusiast so she could be enjoyed and cared for properly. It is not advertised elsewhere at this time but I will advertise it elsewhere if it doesn’t sell on here.

£14,995

Edited by - Edward Vallins on 17 July 2019 21:10:30

Edward Vallins
Powder Monkey

United Kingdom
23 Posts

Posted - 17 July 2019 :  12:31:33  Show Profile
I will try to upload some photos today. Anyone interested in the boat please contact me through the owners club website.
Go to Top of Page

Edward Vallins
Powder Monkey

United Kingdom
23 Posts

Posted - 13 August 2019 :  12:35:24  Show Profile
Now reduced to £13,995
Go to Top of Page
  Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To: