Page: of 3

Chris Barker
Rigger

United Kingdom
65 Posts

Posted - 20 November 2009 :  16:55:54  Show Profile
Hi Everyone

Well why don't I start this thread off.

It started with an e-mail to Ben complimenting him on his Photos of the 2009 Cowes Torquay to be followed by a swift return e-mail from him saying that I need to get my xxxx into gear and bring my Cowes Torquay Huntress 'Maid of Baltimore' 701 down to Cowes from the North West next August for the 50th. An event not to be missed.

Well this fired me up proper and before I knew it I was budgeting the cost, contacting Mike James (Thunderbolt) for COPOC (Classic Offshore Powerboat Owners Club) advice. Before I knew it I had preregistered Maid with COPOC for the race (advised that Felix had beaten me to it!)prepared a plan of action, roped in Scott and Carol and Andrew and Margaret for support and help, and booked a hotel at Cowes for the weekend (her indoors no longer sleeps on boats and demands 3* treatment!)

Now I'm looking into my piggy bank to work out the cost of this extravaganza.

Then Mike said to me 'Are there any other CT racers in the North West' This set me thinking and I asked good friends Ben and father Charles as I had it in the back of my mind that theirs was an old CT boat. Surprise, surprise back came the reply that they don't have one but two with the other being on the Island. I think they're deciding to bring that one to join the fun. Must get them to join the FOC.

Now I'm busy doing my winter work on Maid following lift out, arranging numbers and union flags and generally starting to plan for this mammoth event.

I've already heard on the grapevine that there might be a meeting at Torquay to be followed by a return cruise back to Cowes on the Saturday but with her indoors being disabled (and me being a coward) I'll be content to have Maid transported down to the Solent and have a long weekend of posing around Cowes whilst meeting the boats as they power down the Solent from the West on the Saturday.

Now I'm sure that they organisers have it all under control but wouldn't it be great to have an exhibition start with guns from the RYS start line, probably a cruise round a few buoys then back again for a gun finish. Obviously as some of us older boys will only be travelling at 25 knots then it will allow all to keep reasonably together and provide a spectacle for the crowds.

Also can all the Fairey boys arrange moorings together so we can have a really good weekend beano!

Looking forward to reading all your comments as things progress

Don't forget about us up North.

See you at Cowes (and Lyndhurst in January)

Regards

Chris B

Ben
Administrator

1262 Posts

Posted - 22 November 2009 :  18:22:22  Show Profile
We should use this as a Fairey boat roll call.

Maid of Baltimore '701'
Playtime II '333'

Anyone else?

Go to Top of Page

robertk
Powder Monkey

United Kingdom
38 Posts

Posted - 22 November 2009 :  18:49:07  Show Profile
Hello Chris,

Hope all is well, we met at Windermere 2004 (with the Ariston)

We have contacted Mike at COPOC and informed him that Hamble Sword, Swordsman aft cabin, will definitely be at Torquay (our home crusing waters) and may make it to Cowes.

Regards

Robert K
Go to Top of Page

Chris Barker
Rigger

United Kingdom
65 Posts

Posted - 23 November 2009 :  17:35:44  Show Profile
Hi Robert

Lovely to hear from you. It was also lovely to see you at Cowes at the RYS 21st

Wouldn't be surprised to see you at Cowes and looking forward to it.

Incidentally the tides in at Windermere at present - about 8 foot above normal!

Regards

Chris B
Go to Top of Page

CRUSADER
Captain

United Kingdom
201 Posts

Posted - 01 December 2009 :  16:49:21  Show Profile
Hello All

in response to the above a brief breakdown of plans so far...
8 Faireys pre registered..the plan is at the moment anyone in the Solent area to meet in Cowes up to Wednesday 25th for early departure to Torquay, we are working on accommodation at Imperial for those who require it, reception at Imperial and RTBC. Anyone in Torbay, CI area can meet at Torquay and come back to Cowes if they wish to.
Mass departure back to Cowes Saturday for those who wish. All craft will hopefully carry original race no and those not having no to be allocated one which can be mouunted on board or on topsides
Reception also in Cowes.
If anyone has contact with RTYC please put them in touch with me so we can progress contact with them at highest level.
Hopefully registration forms going out in new year..
Anyone able to bring in sponsor to assist with cost's please do let me know ASAP so we can cultivate good rapport and give some assistance to all entrants.

Mike
COPOC
Go to Top of Page

Paul Hooper
Powder Monkey

37 Posts

Posted - 01 December 2009 :  21:41:28  Show Profile
From the Levi boat camp we have

Le Scarron
Lady Emma
Blue Corsair

plus more to come hopefully

The rough plan is to head west from the Solent the previous weekend in order to spend a few days in Dartmouth then take in the Imperial do on Thursday night? and perhaps head back on Friday - not sure mixing it up with the race boats on Saturday is such a good idea?

How's about a Fairey Owners Club / Copoc / Levi boats predicted log around the Solent on the Saturday with a massed start from the RYS start line at 10.30 returning to a classic boat rally to overnight in Cowes. That way I am sure there would be plenty of boats who might not want to run to Torquay able to join in the celebrations.

Would there be room for us?

Paul.
Go to Top of Page

wanda
Midshipman

United Kingdom
119 Posts

Posted - 02 December 2009 :  08:59:58  Show Profile  Visit wanda's Homepage
Dear All

Sounds splendid.

I think we fancy the trip around the Solent, start and finish at Cowes.
If we all, Fairey's,Levi's and all similar boats toot around we should make the Sunseeker crowd see what real boating is all about!

Frivola's race number is 27 and Richard Gough is coodinating the FOC end of it and is finding out the availability of mooring us all up together.

Should be fun and looking forward to it.
Felix is dusting off the bunting as we speak.

Wanda
Go to Top of Page

CRUSADER
Captain

United Kingdom
201 Posts

Posted - 02 December 2009 :  09:35:08  Show Profile
Paul
the old racers and classics going to Torquay are not repeat not racing and on the return to Cowes Saturday will mass off Torquay and leave at 10 am to motor back to Cowes.

Mike
Go to Top of Page

Paul Hooper
Powder Monkey

37 Posts

Posted - 02 December 2009 :  12:07:48  Show Profile
Mike

Hmm, a 10 O'clock start should see us meet the C.T.C. boys on a directly reciprocal course somewhere in Lyme Bay / rounding the Bill - a closing speed of around 100 knots should keep the classic fleet on its toes; COLREGS anyone?

Is the do at the Imperial planned for Thursday or Friday evening? as I still think we need to try and involve the majority [who won't trek to to Torquay and back] in an event on the Solent on Saturday

Paul.
Go to Top of Page

JohnSK
Midshipman

United Kingdom
196 Posts

Posted - 02 December 2009 :  22:47:43  Show Profile
Add Xanthus
Go to Top of Page

Ben
Administrator

1262 Posts

Posted - 03 December 2009 :  11:09:09  Show Profile
We are most likey to depart Hamble on Friday 20th, stop over in Yarmouth that night, then head off stopping in Weymouth over the weekend, then perhaps Monday to Dartmouth for a couple of nights, then back to Torquay for jolliness. All of course weather dependant.

And of course we'd be delighted to cruise in company.

I dont think the individual provenance of a boat matters, its the spirit of the event that is being celebrated, any boat, be it Fairey or Triana or any other related cousin or contemporary should be welcomed with open arms.

I do think a predicted log around the Solent would be fun and attract the biggest fleet hence spectacle! Can I base my predictions on going flat out all the way?

Lets have a great big party in Cowes!

Go to Top of Page

CRUSADER
Captain

United Kingdom
201 Posts

Posted - 03 December 2009 :  12:47:16  Show Profile
I think there is some confusion as to the Marathon races...the date for the big boys are
FRIDAY 27TH FOR THE COWES 100
and
SUNDAY 29TH for the COWES CLASSIC (CTC)

that is why the classics go back Saturday so you are all there for the BIG ONE!
IMERIAL RECEPTION SUBJECT TO MEETING WITH THEM IN JANUARY
EITHER THURS or FRI..

Mike
Go to Top of Page

wanda
Midshipman

United Kingdom
119 Posts

Posted - 03 December 2009 :  15:35:09  Show Profile  Visit wanda's Homepage
Dear All

Sounds great fun but I think due to hips and knees we will be staying in the Solent.

Happy to take part in a predicted log and/or a burn up and sling out a hook and have a boaty picnic off Hurst Castle. Last year Paul Harlow,John Vaudin and Felix decided a lttle fishing was in order so we had mackerel fillets with fresh crusty bread for supper.

If we can gather up on the Saturday, Fairey's Trianas, Levi's, Swordsman etc it could really look very special. Do we book somewhere to eat as a group Saturday evening? We would need to book pretty early as it will be a busy weekend.

Richard is the Fairey/COPOC Liaison Officer maybe he has some thoughts.

Thought our racing number was 27 but according tp Charles we are actually 21.

Anyway plenty of time to get the fishing feathers ready and Felix makes fresh soda bread in 45 minutes.....bookings necessary!

Wanda
Go to Top of Page

CRUSADER
Captain

United Kingdom
201 Posts

Posted - 04 December 2009 :  09:36:18  Show Profile
Good Morning
In response to all these ideas for a Solent escapade when we first started putting together plans I wrote to all the YC's involved in the first years of the sport. One response I had was from the Royal Southern who wish to help in the celebrations, now they have a long history of predicted logs and supporting the early races so I will speak to the persons involved and see what we can put together for all interested.

Many thanks for the input, keep it coming.

By the way THUNDERBOLT WILL BE FITTED WITH 2 X 220HP 5.5 CHEVVYS totally rebuilt and modernised but finished as Crusaders to maintain her originality. My Crew will be Ken Raybould who was responsible for her build and testing way back then, his son Mark and on the return journey Geoff Campbell son of Pamela and Bruce...

Rgards to all

MIKE
COPOC
Go to Top of Page

Ben
Administrator

1262 Posts

Posted - 04 December 2009 :  09:48:20  Show Profile
quote:
By the way THUNDERBOLT WILL BE FITTED WITH 2 X 220HP 5.5 CHEVVYS totally rebuilt and modernised but finished as Crusaders to maintain her originality. My Crew will be Ken Raybould who was responsible for her build and testing way back then, his son Mark and on the return journey Geoff Campbell son of Pamela and Bruce...

Great Stuff!!
Go to Top of Page

Chris Barker
Rigger

United Kingdom
65 Posts

Posted - 04 December 2009 :  17:22:56  Show Profile
Hi Mike

Really good news that Thunderbolt will be operational with BIG engines for August 2010. It's a great achievement - well done.

One more suggestion - what about a dinner at the RYS on say the Saturday night and say a Fairey BBQ on the shore by the boats (or some other shindig) on the Sunday night?

Chris B
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 3 Topic  
Next Page
 Forum Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Fairey Owners Club Forums © Fairey Owners Club Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000